In case anyone was wondering, I’m getting caught up on my reading. In the meantime, the list of National Book Award Finalists came out last week. I haven’t read any of the Fiction Finalists, so I’m providing links to those who have.
- Peter Carey Parrot and Olivier in America (Alfred A. Knopf)
- Jaimy Gordon Lord of Misrule (McPherson & Co.)
- Nicole Krauss Great House (W.W. Norton & Co.)
- Lionel Shriver So Much for That (Harper, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers)
- Karen Tei Yamashita I, Hotel (Coffee House Press)
I couldn’t find a blog review for Jaimy Gordon’s Lord of Misrule (due in stores on November 14th). If you know of one, please post it in the comments below. Ironic, though, since it is that book and I, Hotel which I’d most like to read.
And for fun, here’s the Non-fiction list:
- Barbara Demick Nothing to Envy: Ordinary Lives in North Korea (Spiegel & Grau, an imprint of The Random House Publishing Group)
- John W. Dower Cultures of War: Pearl Harbor, Hiroshima, 9-11, Iraq (W.W. Norton & Co/The New Press )
- Patti Smith Just Kids (Ecco, an imprint of HarperCollinsPublishers)
- Justin Spring Secret Historian: The Life and Times of Samuel Steward (Farrar, Straus & Giroux)
- Megan K. Stack Every Man in This Village Is a Liar: An Education in War (Doubleday)
Winners are scheduled to be announce Wednesday, November 17th. And I should have a new review up over the weekend.